Chef Srijith Gopinathan
Executive Chef Srijith Gopinathan’s Cal-Indian cuisine has made Campton Place (415.781.5555, tajcamptonplace.com/dining) a shining example in the world of Michelin stars. His dishes, inspired by flavors he grew up with in Southern India, have earned the restaurant the food world’s highest honor nine years in a row. Last June, when the Michelin Guide released its first California statewide verdicts, Campton Place received two stars, repeating the distinction it received in 2016 and 2017. You can recreate two of Gopinathan's dishes at home, thanks to recipes he is now sharing with our readers.
Lamb Marinade Recipe
(Makes enough for 10 racks)
ginger garlic paste
chili masala powder
grape seed oil
(quantities all to taste)
1. Mix all ingredients and apply mixture to the lamb racks.
2. Keep the rack in the marinade for 2 hours
3. Slice the rack into 6 or 7 chops and grill over an ember or on a grill for 5-8 minutes to serve medium-rare to medium, or another 5 minutes to serve medium-well
4. Serve with a simple sourdough, grilled peach and basil salad (recipe follows)
Sourdough, grilled peach and basil salad
4 ripe peaches
2 Tbsp. salted butter
1 Tbsp. chopped parsely
1 handful of fresh basil leaves
1. Cut 4 ripe but hard peaches into eighths
2. Season with salt, espelette and olive oil (to taste)
3. Grill for 2- 3 minutes.
4. Dice 1 loaf sourdough bread into half-inch pieces and sauté in 2 tablespoons of salted butter and tablespoon of chopped parsley.
5. Once you have the bread crusty outside and soft inside, toss it with peaches and a handful of fresh basil leaves
6. Season with salt, pepper and juice from one lemon. Enjoy!
Photography by: Courtesy of Campton Place