Yesterday's fire in the Mission District was kind of terrifying. True story: Just as it started, we were on the phone with somebody over there, who told us, "I have to hang up the phone, I think my neighborhood is on fire."
The five-alarm fire was pretty scary, but not quite as bad as the whole neighborhood going up in flames. (We're setting a high standard here, we know).
When it was all said and done, the neighborhood survived, but at least one building has been destroyed and another damaged by flames. The Chronicle is reporting that two civilians and a firefighter were taken to a hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
The fire started at 1:11 pm at Big House, Inc. a discount retail store on Mission Street, and grew to five alarms before being contained several hours later. Smoke—which contained fumes from burning plastic—was visible from around the city. That store had been cited twice in the last five years for fire code violations, according to NBC Bay Area, which also reported that the store's large stockpile of inventory may have contributed to the size of the blaze.