When it comes to design and fashion, less is more for interiors guru Mead Quin. “At heart I’m a minimalist but would describe my style as soft modern... clean and simple while remaining warm and inviting.” Similar to her wardrobe—monochromatic pieces in black and neutral tones—Quin’s design firm’s aesthetic veers toward what’s poetic and timeless. “We always consider the purpose of the objects we are placing within a space, never filling space just to fill it,” she explains. “Our less-is-more approach compels us to be relentlessly thoughtful about editing.” Here, the Oakland resident—who names John Pawson, Joseph Dirand, Ilse Crawford and Rose Uniacke as inspirations—shares the pieces currently on her radar.
1. ”This classic, pointy-toe pump in black leather is my go-to heel. It works well with any outfit and is surprisingly comfortable—I’ve been seen running in them.” Jimmy Choo Romy 60
2. “This is a favorite coffee-table book. It’s beautiful inside and out, featuring Maya Lin, a phenomenally talented artist and architect known for her environmental works and memorials. Her work is quiet, layered and poignant.” Maya Lin: Topologies, Rizzoli
3. “Christiane Perrochon’s lamps are truly spectacular. Each one is handcrafted by Perrochon in Italy and crowned with a handmade French watercolor paper shade. They are a piece of art in and of themselves, perfectly proportioned, simple in form and comprised of the most beautiful colors.” Christiane Perrochon Vase 23 white beige lamp, Bright on Presidio
4. “I love a bag I can throw over my shoulder since my hands are always full. This one is perfect for fitting larger items without looking bulky: It’s chic and practical!”CO Classic tote in pebbled leather
5. “Flexform just expanded their outdoor collection and has some amazing new pieces. The Tessa chair is a new favorite. Handcrafted in Italy, it is modern yet timeless. It’s beautifully constructed out of solid turned iroko wood, and is perfect with or without the cushions, which are held in place by slender straps.” Flexform Tessa outdoor armchair
6. “These are my go-to earrings for everything from client meetings to yoga. They are simple, light and easy to throw on with absolutely everything. To boot, the designer has a local boutique in Berkeley and every piece is responsibly made, which is dear to my heart.”Melissa Joy Manning 1.75-inch round hoops